Celebrating Biblical Womanhood.

Celebrating Biblical Womanhood.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Friend Loveth




















I am sure that all who are reading, and have little ones' and husbands to take care of are just as busy, if not more so than I; and lately I have been under much conviction about my "busy-ness" I think my priorities are somewhat right. I love staying at home, "keeping house," teaching our children, making lunches for my husband, and all the other things that go along with attributes of a biblical woman. I strive so hard to focus on the things above, the things that God deems important, like raising our boys, and being a godly example to our family; but, there is something missing...hmmmm, what could it be? I have asked myself, and my husband this thought provoking question so many times within the past year or so, but really couldn't put a finger on it.

Last night, in my search/praying/reading once more I asked this question of  God... What am I missing? I feel like I am doing my best in all areas, but then.... in what seemed like almost a whisper, God spoke to me! "You are missing friendships."

I have struggled with "finding time" for others' for about two years now, and the struggle isn't getting any better. I am so very proud of what God is doing in and through my family and me. I need to reach out to godly women for friendships, accountability, and sisterhood!

As we journey through life together, I encourage you to do the same. Find godly women. Search for mentors to teach and guide you through being a wife, mother and friend. Know, that while you too are searching, I will search with you!


It is very important to God that believers have good friendships, and this is obvious since so much is said about the subject of friendship in the Bible. Additionally, there are clear definitions in the Bible of what a good friendship is and what a bad friendship is. Here is a  look at some of those examples. I offer up many prayers as we search, learn, and refine together.


The Bible describes true friendship as when one will be honest even when it hurts. Proverbs 27:6 (NIV) says, “Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” This means that a true friend of yours will tell you what you need to hear, even if it hurts, instead of flattering you all of the time. These “wounds” from a friend can also mean for them to rebuke or correct you when you have done something wrong. No one is perfect, but we usually want to make the best decisions for ourselves and those close to us. So sometimes it takes a true friend to tell us that we might be making the wrong decision and heading down the wrong path. Many great leaders have had close friends who at times advised the leader of which path to follow.


An example of a close friendship in the Bible can be found in 1 Samuel chapters 18-20 (NIV). Jonathan, who was the son of King Saul, was close friends with a man named David (who became a king later on). Long before David's reign as king, David became quite popular with the people because of his victories over the Philistines in battle. Unfortunately, that popularity made King Saul extremely jealous and full of rage, so he sought to kill David in order to protect his throne. However, Jonathan warned David of his father's every move, which allowed David to escape physical harm.


Sometimes the best friendship is for one to just be there for the other. Remember Job and the suffering he endured (in the book of Job)? In the midst of his pain, he was visited by three of his close friends (Job 2:11-13 NIV) who all had good intentions but probably would have done better, instead, to just pray with him. For example, they made comments to him stating that he must have sinned horribly and that God was punishing him for it. However, the Bible says that God was pleased with Job (Job 42:7-8 NIV) Therefore, some of the best friends you will have are those who just listen and give advice only when asked.


Good friends will have a positive influence on you. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NIV) says that “two are better than one,” and goes on to tell how life is much better when you have a friend. Within this same verse we are told that a friendship like this can lead to one being able to pick up or support the other when he or she falls and that friends can keep each other warm. It also says that two friends can stand together against threatening events.


Bad friends will have a negative influence on you. The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 15:33 (NIV) that bad company will corrupt someone with good character. Many people make the mistake of associating with the wrong crowd, and it is one of the warnings parents try and give their children all through their developing years and even into adulthood.


The Bible warns us of making friendships with angry people. In Proverbs 22:21(NIV) the Bible says that we should not make friends with those who anger easily because we could end up being just like them. Angry people are difficult because we cannot always determine how they will respond. Some respond with violence, but most of the time it's with abusive words that hurt people. If you happen to be friends with this type of person, others may even begin to think that you are just like your angry friend. It can hurt your reputation.


Jesus Christ demonstrates the ultimate friendship. John 15:12-14(NIV) says, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.” As you can see from this verse, Jesus Christ is the perfect example of a true friend because He sacrificed Himself for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment